CEEHungarian public news back on air after media reforms
Hungary's state TV aired its first news bulletin since July on Thursday, August 20, ending a suspension imposed as the new government of Peter Magyar launched reforms aiming to restore the public media's independence, AFP reports.
Control of the press was a key pillar of the government under Magyar's predecessor, nationalist Viktor Orban, who spent his 16 years in power moulding the central European country into an "illiberal democracy" before being ousted in April's election. Overhauling the public media outlet was a key campaign promise by Magyar, a pro-European Union conservative. The main public TV channel, M1 suspended all news programs on July 7 as the reforms got under way. It aired its first news bulletin since at 6.00 local time (0400 GMT) on Thursday, Hungary's national day. The bulletin started with a report on Hungary's new president, Andras Baka, an Orban critic and former head of the Supreme Court, taking office on Wednesday. Independent news site Telex said the 25-minute bulletin had balanced coverage, including opposition and critical voices – a clear break with practices during the Orban era. Journalists have spoken previously of grappling with their roles under Orban, and of how to restore public trust. The public media group Kozmedia, which was previously known as MTVA and comprised several TV channels including M1, radio stations and the national news agency, said, on Facebook, that no one who previously worked on the news bulletins was involved in editing Thursday's edition. Yet several employees have told Agence France-Presse (AFP) that, while a few anchors and reporters have been let go, the staffing remains largely the same. On Wednesday, Telex also reported that many of the same editors and reporters, who "previously produced propaganda," remained on staff, citing an email they received from an insider. The current transition period is overseen by a government-appointed interim leadership, which launched internal audits and restructuring. Earlier this month, management faced backlash after naming a new head of news programming who had previously been employed by media outlets and companies owned by Orban's inner circle. Following the disapproving reactions, including from Magyar, the broadcaster reversed the appointment the next day, prompting even more criticism, including on government interference. Public media reforms are expected to continue. A new chief executive officer, to be chosen through an open tender process before the end of October, is expected to implement recommendations from an ongoing professional and public consultations. RELATED
|
SEARCH TVBIZZ LIVE![]() FOCUS GET OUR NEWSLETTER |